Tuesday, October 8, 2013

What do I do if my kid ends up with a bad teacher?

This is purely my experience in US School system and the things I did to fix it.

First of all, here's my definition of a bad teacher.
1. A teacher that doesn't value education
2. A teacher that doesn't value the roles of parents in each kid's life
3. A teacher that doesn't teach the kids respect, time management, organizational skills, accountability of the work, e.t.c.
4. A teacher that mixes their personal life with teaching
5. A teacher that doesn't know how to teach.

If you end up with any of these type of teachers, these are some things I did with my own kids.

1. Most important - Don't rely on the A's your kid is getting from that class. Those are just F's in the real world. Like I told my son when he was in fourth grade, " I am ok with your B's in Ms. Fleischer's class because I know those are A's in the real world. Ms. Fleischer is the best thing that happened to my son's life. It works the other way also. So please don't think your kids are doing great just because they made it to the honor roll. Our grading system has tons of loop holes.

2. Buy the text books for each level and make them read and practice at home. You don't need to run around for other workbooks/ tutoring center if you have a plan at home with the school text books. Make sure you are checking your kid's work and keeping them challenged and motivated. PLEASE FIND THAT SPECIAL ONE HOUR EACH DAY WITH YOUR KID. Slow down in your life and have that precious moment their life. Listen to your kid and work with him. 


3. Just ignore the teacher. This is the big lesson I learned. We can't do much about it. Our educational system is that complicated! Just today I had an interesting discussion with my Calculus seniors since they are done with the whole school system. According to them, more than half of the teachers don't know or don't care. The system is too bad to have a short term fix. So maybe after your kids grow up you can fight for it. Right now, your own kids are more important for you. Don't waste your time and energy to fix the teacher, and spend it with our own kids instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment